Digital Heritage Interpretation Conference 2023
EXPLORING DIGITAL POSSIBILITIES FOR THE DESIGN OF HERITAGE INTERPRETATION & RECONSTRUCTION OF TIMES PAST
Event Date: 11th May 2023
Abstract Date: 28th February 2023
OPEN CALL for presentations, workshops and marketplace exhibits:
The conference aims to bring together researchers, practitioners, and educators to present and discuss innovations, trends, methods, practical challenges and experiences encountered in areas of Digital Cultural Heritage Interpretation. The one day conference also enables a platform for networking, sharing ideas and collaboration on future digital heritage interpretation projects.
In the growing discipline of digital cultural heritage, debates around digital engagement, maximising opportunities presented by emerging technologies, and developing immersive and interactive experiences for visitors at heritage sites have progressed rapidly in the last 10 years. Primarily helped by much easier access to affordable software and hardware, organisations and individuals are able to create realistic 3D scenes of lost buildings, places and artefacts which can be explored via various engaging methods and platforms, for example augmented and virtual reality. Restoration, revitalisation and 3D reconstruction of heritage buildings and sites enables community engagement with heritage assets and helps in strengthening local identity. Adding historical or heritage data (HBIM), such as materials/phases of development and the people who were involved, to buildings/heritage sites can maximise interest for visitors and form a valuable record for conservation purposes. By revitalising existing heritage assets, growth in tourism and engagement with heritage in local communities can be achieved, enabling heritage organisations to thrive in an increasingly digital world.
Developing talent, knowledge, and capacity for engagement with immersive, digitally creative industries and cultural heritage interpretation can help to build enriched, interactive visitor experiences. The methods and processes involved, challenges encountered and solved, software and hardware used are fundamental to understanding how to develop Digital Cultural Heritage Interpretation further. Please join us by presenting a paper or providing a workshop or demonstration that takes this further, encouraging ongoing debate and discussion in exploring digital possibilities for the design of heritage interpretation and reconstructions of times past.
We welcome proposals for paper presentations (max.45 minutes), workshops (max.45 minutes) and demonstrations in the following areas:
- Digital Heritage Interpretation Design Processes
- Collaborative Design for Cultural Heritage Site Interpretation
- Heritage Building Information Modelling (HBIM) Processes
- HCI for Cultural Heritage Applications
- Digital Reconstruction for Bringing to Life Demolished/Part Demolished Heritage Sites
- AR/VR/XR for Heritage Applications
- Augmented & Virtual Cultural Heritage Tours & Sustainable Tourism
- Building Realistic Historical ‘Game’ Worlds
- Digital Narratives & Storytelling of the Past at Heritage Sites & Museums
- Building Communities and Shared Practice in developing 3D Heritage Models
- 3D Heritage Assets
- 3D Printing Replication of Heritage Artefacts & Dioramas
Proposals of around 250 words as well as a CV or organisational portfolio should be emailed by 28th February 2023 (Extended Deadline)
Please submit your proposals in English and specify which category you are applying for.
- Notification of Acceptance/Rejection: March 10th 2023 (Extended Deadline)
- Final Paper and Early Bird Registration: April 13th 2023 (Extended Deadline)
- Conference Date: May 11th 2023
Click the button below to submit your abstract or register, or email us on: firstname.lastname@example.org